Prostate Cancer Treatment Guide

Prostate Cancer Treatment Options Prostate Health Seminar
Treatment
Description
Prostate Cancer
Patient Profile
Prostate Cancer
Treatments
Prostate Cancer
Survival Rates
Prostate Cancer
Side Effects

Hormone
Therapy

Prostate Hormone Therapy

Prostate hormone therapy suppresses, blocks, or eliminates testosterone to slow the tumor’s growth. Prostate Hormone
Therapy

Prostate hormone therapy suppresses, blocks, or eliminates testosterone to slow the tumor’s growth.

click to learn more

 

Hormone Therapy Uses

Therapy can slow the tumor’s growth or lower a PSA level; it may be used before, during, or after other treatment. Hormone Therapy Uses

Therapy can slow the tumor’s growth or lower a PSA level; it may be used before, during, or after other treatment.

click to learn more

Learn More

Shrinking the Prostate

Surgical castration patients return home the day of the surgery. Treatment is given orally or by injection. Shrinking the Prostate

Surgical castration patients return home the day of the surgery. Treatment is given orally or by injection.

click to learn more

Learn More

Hormone
Therapy Effects

Hormone therapy does not destroy cancer but research has shown effectiveness in enhancing other treatments. Hormone
Therapy Effects

Hormone therapy does not destroy cancer but research has shown effectiveness in enhancing other treatments.

click to learn more

Learn More

Hormone Therapy
Side Effects

May cause impotence, weight gain, hot flashes, fatigue, loss of muscle mass; and hormone “flare” in LHRH use. Hormone Therapy
Side Effects

May cause impotence, weight gain, hot flashes, fatigue, loss of muscle mass; and hormone “flare” in LHRH use.

click to learn more

Learn More

Brachytherapy

Chemotherapy

Cryotherapy &Cryosurgery

Radiation
Therapy

Prostatectomy

Watchful
Waiting

 

Prostate Cancer Hormone Therapy


The male sex hormone testosterone feeds the growth of prostate cells and prostate cancer. Male hormones are called androgens. Prostate cancer hormone therapy works by ablating or depriving testosterone in the body. With no hormone to fuel their growth, the cells stop growing. Hormone therapy does not provide a cure; the prostate cancer does not “starve” to death, but for a time the spread of the disease can be slowed or even halted.

Hormone therapy is most versatile of the postate cancer treatments. the ablation and deprivation of testosterone can be used as adjuvant therapy, neoadjuvant therapy, or monotherapy for either primary or salavage treatment. Adjuvant and neoadjuvant hormone therapy is more common for primary treatment. Androgen ablation and deprivation monotherapy is more common during salvage treatment. During primary therapy, hormone therapy is given to shrink the volume of the prostate gland and tumor. Eventually, the prostate cells become resistant to the androgen deprivation therapy and begin to grow again. When prostate cells become resistant, the next steps are either to stop hormone therapy to see if the reintroduction of testosterone can slow the growth, or chemotherapy.

The testicles produce 90 percent to 95 percent of the body’s testosterone. The adrenal glands produce the remaining 5 percent to 10 percent. The two types of hormone therapies used to combat prostate cancer are castration or anti – androgens. There are two types of castration: surgical castration, also called orchiectomy or orchidectomy, and chemical castration, caused by LHRH agonists and LHRH antagonists. LHRH agonists and antagonists are usually taken through injections or analogs which continuously release the therapy over a period of time. Castration affects production of testosterone in the testicles, while LHRH antagonists and agonists interrupt the communication in the brain when the brain is ordering the production of more testosterone.

Anti – androgens affect the hormones that are produced in the adrenal glands. They are designed to block receptors in the prostate cells and prevent androgens from feeding cancer cell growth. Anti-androgens are taken orally as a pill or tablet. The female sex hormone, estrogen is also sometimes used for hormone therapy.

When several hormone therapies are used together, it is called Combined Androgen Blockade or CAB, but may also be called total androgen blockade, combined hormonal therapy, or complete hormonal blockade. Combined androgen blockade usually consists of castration and anti – androgens. All men who undergo hormone therapy will experience side effects, however, men who undergo CAB tend to experience more side effects due to the elimination of 100 percent of the body’s testosterone.

 
 

 
 
Prostate Cancer Patient Discussion Group
 
 

Coping with Prostate Cancer     Prostate Cancer News     Glossary      |     Home     Contact Us     Disclaimer     Medical Advisor     Links     Site Map