In 1996, Dr. Cohen was selected to be listed in these two well-respected lists, The Best Doctors in America: Northeast Region (1996-1997) and The Best Doctors in Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Magazine.
Jeffrey K. Cohen, M.D., received his medical degree, with honors, from the State University of New York (S.U.N.Y.) – Syracuse Upstate Medical Center in 1979. He served his surgical internship and his surgical and urologic residency at the Case Western Reserve University Hospital of Cleveland. Dr. Cohen also served as a urologic oncology fellow at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Institute. He completed his training in 1985.
Dr. Jeffrey K. Cohen is certified by the American Board of Urology.
Dr. Cohen is very involved in advancing the field of urology. He is active in hospital committees, medical research, teaching, publishing and doing presentations for medical society gatherings. He has published numerous articles in medical journals, including the Journal of Urology. He is a reviewer for the Journal of Urology.
He maintains memberships in several medical societies including the American Urological Association (AUA) and the American Medical Association (AMA). Recently, he served on the AUA New Technology and Treatment Advisory Committee.
1. Cohen, JK, and Perksy, L. Ureteral Stone Surgery in Urologic Clinics of North America. Vol. 10, No 4, November, 1983.
2. Resnik, MI, and Cohen, JK. The Use of Transrectal Ultrasound in the Diagnosis of Stage A Prostatic Carcinoma. World Journal of Urology, Vol. 1, No. 1, 1983.
3. Resnick, MI, and Cohen, JK. Testicular Vasocongestion. Medical Aspects of Human Sexuality. Vol 17 (5): 179-183, 1983.
4. Bryan, PJ, Buterl, HE, Lipuma, JP, Haaga, Jr., El-Yousef, SJ, Resnick, MI, Cohen, AM, Malvia, VK, Nelson, AD, Clampett, M, Alfidi, RJ, Cohen, JK, and Morrison, SC. NMR Scanning of the Pelvis: Initial Experience with an 0.3 T System. American Journal of Radiology. 141:1111-1118, 1983.
5. Cohen, JK, Hampel, N, and Resnick, MI. Emphysematous cystitis. Journal d’ Urologie 90 207-209, 1994.
6. Bodner, D, Cohen, JK, et al. Primary Transitional-Cell Carcinoma of the Prostate. Journal d’ CURRICULUM VITAE
7. Urologie 91 157-159, 1985. 7. Cohen, JK, Persky, L, and Resnick, MI. Pattern of Urinary Symptoms in Patients with Metastatic Bladder Cancer. Journal of Urology 136. 585-588, 1986.
8. Onik, G, Cobb, C, Cohen, JK, et al. US characteristics of Frozen Prostate. Radiology 168. 629-631, 1988.
9. Onik, G, Porterfield, B, Rubinsky, B, and Cohen, JK. Percutaneous Transperineal Prostate Cryosurgery Using Transrectal Ultrasound Guidance: Animal Model. Journal of Urology. 277-281, Volume XXXVII, Number 3, March, 1991.
10. Allegheny General Hospital Monograph - Editor, Oncology Journal, Prostate Cancer.
11. Cohen, JK, Berg, G, Carl, G, and Diamond D. Primary Endoscopic Realignment Following Posterior Urethral Disruption. Journal of Urology 146. 1548-1550, 1991.
12. Onik, G, Reyes, G, Cohen, JK. Ultrasound Characteristics of Renal Cryosurgery. Urology: 212-215, Volume 42, Number 2, August, 1993.
13. Cohen, JK, and Miller, RJ, Thermal Protection of Urethra During Cryosurgery of Prostate. Urology 313-316, April, 1994.
14. Miller, RJ, Cohen, JK, and Merlotti, L. Percutaneous Transperineal Cryosurgical Ablation of the Prostate for the Primary Treatment of Clinical Stage C Adenocarcinoma of the Prostate. Urology 44(2), 170-174, 1994.
15. Michaels, AJ, Cohen, JK, Miller, RJ, Urethral Injuries Associated with Pelvic Fracture. Current Surgery, 297-301, 1994.
16. Cohen, JK, Miller, RJ. Therman Protection of Urethra During Cryosurgery of the Prostate. Cryobiology, 31, 313-316, 1994.
17. Cohen, JK, Letter to the Editor, Urology 46(6), 902-3, 1995.
18. Cohen, JK, et al. Ureteral Warming Catheters for Use During Cryoablation of the Prostate,
Urology 45(5), 861-864, May, 1995.
19. Shackney, SE, Berg, G, Simon S, Cohen, JK, et al. The Origins and Clinical Implication of Aneuploidy in Early Bladder Cancer. Communication in Clinical Cytometry 21, #3, September, 1995.
20. Cohen, JK, Cryosurgical Ablation of Prostate, Profiles In Urology, Guest Surgeon Editor. Urologie 91 157-159, 1985. 7. Cohen, JK, Persky, L, and Resnick, MI. Pattern of Urinary Symptoms in Patients with Metastatic Bladder Cancer. Journal of Urology 136. 585-588, 1986.
21. Saliken, JC, Cohen, JK, Miller, R, and Rothert, M. Laboratory Evaluation of Ice Formation Around a 3 mm. Accuprobe. Cryobiology 32, 285-295, 1995.
22. Miller, R, Cohen, JK, , Shuman, BA, and Merlotti, LA. Percutaneous, Transperineal Cryosurgery of the Prostate as Salvage Therapy for Post Radiation Recurrence of Adenocarcinoma. Cancer, 77:1510-1514, 1996.
23. Cohen, JK, Rooker, GM, Shuman, BA, Miller, RJ, and Merlotti, L, Cryosurgical Ablation: Management Alternatives for Localized Prostate Cancer. Smith’s Textbook of Endourology. Volume 11: 1217-1233, 1996.
24. Cohen, JK, Miller, RJ, Rooker, GM, and Shuman, B. Cryosurgical Ablation of the Prostate: Two Year Prostate Specific Antigen and Biopsy Results. Urology 47(3), 395-401, 1996.
25. Cohen, JK, Cryosurgical Ablation of the Prostate: Pro Urology 48(2), 178-183, 1996.
26. Cohen, JK, Rooker, GM, Miller, RJ, Merlotti, L, Cryosurgical Ablation of the Prostate: Treatment Alternative for Localized Prostate Cancer. Diagnosis and Treatment of Genitourinary Malignancies, 168-186, 1996.
27. Shuman, BA, Cohen, JK, Miller, RJ, Rooker, GM, Olsen, PROSTATE. Histological Presence of Viable Prostatic Glands on Routine Biopsy Following Cryosurgical Ablation of the Prostate, The Journal of Urology , Vol. 157, 552-555, February, 1997.
28. Zegel, HG, Holland GA, Jennings, SB, Chong, WK, Cohen, JK. Intraoperative Ultrasonographically Guided Cryoablation of Renal Masses: Initial Experience. American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine. J. Ultrasound Med 17:571-576, 1998.
29. Benoit RM, Naslund MJ, Cohen JK: Complications after prostate brachytherapy in the Medicare population. Urology 55:91-6, 2000.
30. Benoit RM, Naslund MJ, Cohen JK: Complications after radical retropubic prostatectomy in the Medicare population. Urology (in press)
31. Benoit RM, Naslund MJ, Cohen JK: A comparison of complications between ultrasound
guided prostate brachytherapy and open prostate brachytherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys (in press).
32. Benoit RM, Cohen JK, Miller RJ: Counseling patients about cryotherapy for prostate cancer. Seminars in Urologic Oncology (in press).
33. Benoit RM, Cohen JK, Miller RJ: Cryosurgery for Prostate Cancer: New Technology and Indications. Current Urology Reports (in press).
34. Brown D, Colonias A, Miller R, Benoit R, Cohen J, Arshoun Y, Galloway M, Karlovits S, Wu A, Johnson M, Quinn A, Kalnicki S: Urinary Morbidity With a Modified Peripheral Loading Technique of Transperineal I-125 Prostate Implantation. Int J Radiol Oncol Biol Phys (in press).
35. Wu A, Lee C-C, Johnson M, Brown D, Benoit R, Miller R, Cohen J, Geis P, Chen ASJ, Kalnicki S: A New Power Law for Determination of Total I-125 Seed Activity for Ultrasound Guided Prostate Implants: Clinical Evaluation. Int J Radiol Oncol Biol Phys.
36. Cohen, J, Cryosurgical Ablation of the Prostate: Update 2001, AUA News, January/February 2001.
37. Cohen, J, Zisman, A, Pantuck, A. New Study Reveals Fewer Complications with Seednet Technique for Salvage Cryoablation. Urology, December 2001.
38. Cohen, J., Zisman, A, Pantuck, A. New Study reveals fewer complications with Galil Medical Cryosurgery Equipment for renal tumors. Urology, January 2002.
39. Benoit, RM., Cohen, JK.The Relationship Between Quality and Costs: Factors that Affect the Hospital Costs of Radical Prostatectomy. Prostate Cancer and Prostate Diseases (2001) 4. 213-216.